Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Community

We are created for community. 

Lots of people aim for an ideal called "self sufficiency" unlike some animals we are designed to be dependent on our family for years, depending on which country you are born in - decades.

This design satisfies an innate need for relationship and allows us to learn to trust, to give and receive, to love. In fact if these needs are not satisfied, if a baby does not receive touch and comfort from others they will literally fail to thrive and their physical growth can be stunted, an external sign of the internal loss. 




Family groups create an environment where we learn language and social skills, and as adults these needs don't disappear. 

I don't ever want to be entirely self sufficient. I love the image of the Amish community coming together to do in a day with ease - okay abd a bit of hard work what would be nearly impossible for an individual to do.



I not only learn from my friends and others in my community,  I am challenged, encouraged, entertained, assisted, educated, inspired, and more. 

We each have gifts, even those who at first might not seem to have anything to offer come with something that I'd needed, something of value. A challenge for me this year is to look beyond my subconscious responses to those around me and to reach out to those around me, encourage them, and draw them into community.

Ephesians 4:15
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
Ephesians 4:16
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

No comments: