Friday, January 24, 2014

Winemaking

Firstly, hello!

As mentioned in a previous post I was having issues with Internet on my laptop and have not been on here much, however found a mobile app yesterday and seems like I may be back on board :)

So we got an amazing lot of grapes off our wine grape this year - quality off sultana grape was so much less that I have promptly installed a drip irrigation system for the area around the sultana grape! It will benefit the raspberries, the mulberry and the new loquat and coffee plants too.

So after picking around 8-10 kg of grapes we are attempting this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/wild-grape-wine-38780 and as I had a red wine yeast pkt we did add some store bought grape juice too. 

It was tedious boiling and then getting the liquid out through a clean tea towel but as the grapes did not all ripen at the same time it seemed to work better than anything else I've tried. 

The recipe says you need two vessels and siphon between them in initial stages so I will be off to buy another container today. I'll let you know how it goes in about a year!!! 

If anyone is still reading this I will be around more and please do comment and say hello.

Hannah

1 comment:

Farmer Liz said...

Hi Hannah, congrats on your grape harvest! I haven't tried making wine, interested to see how it turns out for you :) cheers, Liz